Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fall Decorating for Free!

Beth at The Stories of A to Z inspired me with her Fall front porch.  I asked her for ideas on how to decorate for the Fall with no money.  She recommended going out to the woods somewhere, with some big clippers, and finding leaves, pinecones, branches, etc...  I just happened to be looking for something to do on Monday morning, so Martin and I took Jaden to a Wilderness Park near our house (remember - the one where Jaden fell into the lake earlier this year?)  We had fun hiking and picking things to decorate the house with.  I came home with a big bag full of stuff and went to work:



On the piano I used two mason jars to put berry branches in, and an old water vase I had for the middle. I already had the fall leaves, but I think I picked those up at Dollar Tree last year.


For the middle vase, I used pinecones as a filler.



Over on the stereo I took a crystal vase I had lying around and just placed some sticks inside.  I'm not so sure about this one, but it will have to do until I find some nice ribbon or something to spice it up with.


I placed another berry branch on a shelf in the living room:

Here I did the same thing as on the piano (with the vase).  Too bad we still have to use an antenna for our TV since we don't have cable - oh well...  In front of the antenna (hard to see) I placed a small pumpkin and pinecones in a glass plate.  Oh, and that clock?  Our landlord put that there and asked us not to take it down.  We can't center our TV armoire under it because it won't be center with the couches.   That clock is always hard to work around.



Coffee Table - all stuff I already had.  Except that pumpkin - I picked it up at Goodwill for $1.25 and then saw the same ones at Target for $2.50 a week later.  Love my Goodwill! :)



This wreath for our front door, which is not my first choice, was also FREE - I found it on the side of the road.  Seriously.  A lady down the street was throwing out a bunch of stuff and this was on top of the pile.  Score! 


So there you have it - a little home tour of free Fall decorations.  Thanks for the ideas, Beth!!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I think your vase with the sticks on top of the tv help center the clock! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you! You seriously kicked some Fall butt here! It looks fantastic. Love the berry branches. Here's another tip for you: If you're not happy with your wreath you can always subtract and add items with just a little magic from a glue gun. I do it all the time. I pull out things and add real sprigs of berries right along side the fake greenery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, one more thing while I'm dishing out advice and unsolicited tips. You are a photographer and therefore are an artist and visual lover. Make your pics on your blog bigger for goodness sakes! I want to see those beauties in all their larger loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jaimie that looks really good!! I'll have to use those tips to add some fufu to our home too. I like the natural look - not really the fake fall scarecrow stuff that's in the stores now. Thanks for passing on such a great tip!

    ReplyDelete