Monday, July 11, 2011

Easy Summer Dinner Recipe

Jen at Graham Like The Cracker is hosting a Dinner Blog Train that she kindly asked me to join. How fun!

My first recipe is too easy to even be called a "recipe," but if you're looking for a very easy summertime dinner that does not involve cooking, this is it. My food processor has been up in my closet for about 10 years - seriously - until I recently pulled it out again. I decided to whip up a "chopped salad" since I had one at a restaurant recently and loved it. Something about salad chopped up into itsy bitsy pieces makes it so easy to love, and tastes so much better for some reason!

Here is my recipe for Chopped Salad:

-1/2 head of romaine lettuce
-5 Broccoli pieces
-5 Large Mushrooms
-5 Baby Carrots
-5 Tomatoes
-Any other veggies you want

Simply load all of this into your food processor, and pulse until it is in tiny pieces. Dish into 2 bowls, and sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese. Slice some avocado and place on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and add dressing of your choice. I personally love Bernstein's Italian Dressing for this salad. You can also add chopped turkey, blue cheese crumbles, sliced egg or bacon pieces to this salad for protein. YUM!


I've also added chicken to this, and used BBQ Sauce and Ranch for the dressing for a BBQ Chopped Salad.

Now - for my boys - who won't eat just salad for dinner....

I picked up Dinosaur Chicken Breast Nuggets from Costco -

Microwavable Brown Rice packets from Trader Joes -

A bit of the Chopped Salad (or a veggie of your choice)

And some fresh fruit.


They ate up every bit!

Please take a moment and go visit the other great recipes listed as part of this blog party. Next up: Pam at Keeping Life Creative!

You can also visit the other recipes in this blog train by visiting:
Jen
Kelleigh
Julie
and Pam

If you'd like to link up, just leave a comment below with your blog entry!

************************
Also, don't forget to enter to win my giveaway that ends this Friday!

14 comments:

  1. Yum... Alton loves the dinosaur chicken nuggets. I swear those things are kiddo crack! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so i'm convinced my kids need the dinosaur nuggets. I served them Tyson's nuggets last night and they are so gross... if you don't cook them for 15,000 hours, they end up all gooey. Yuck. http://homesandbabies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - all my kids got were the nuggets - what a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Visiting from VoiceBoks! Hugs Dnbuster from http://dnbustersplace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I've never thought to chop salad. Perhaps I'll give it a try!!
    Just popping in to say HEY from VoiceBoks!
    Ro :)
    http://www.MommyMindSpa.com
    Have YOU had your Mom-ME Moment yet today?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never considered putting my salad in a food processor - great idea! Awesome pictures, too. I love recipe posts with wonderful pictures!!
    Christina

    Visit me at Spilled Milkshake

    Visiting from voiceBoks!

    ♥ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love BBQ Chicken Salad! California Pizza Kitchen has one that is awesome. Of course, I haven't been able to enjoy it since leaving California. But now I know how to make my own at home. Yay! Thanks for sharing this. I don't have a food processor but I don't see why I can't just manually chop everything up into smaller pieces prior to mixing.

    Visiting from voiceboks!

    Blessings,
    Rosann
    http://www.christiansupermom.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. That salad sounds delicious! New follower coming over from Voiceboks!
    Angela @ FirstComesBaby...
    http://www.msangelstarr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought about putting salad stuff in the food processor either, what an easy idea! And, now, I'm hungry!

    Gina from vB

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great! I love whole dinner recipes, especially when they're healthful. I recently tossed my ancient food processor. The plastic parts were turning yellow, lol!
    I'm visiting from VoiceBoks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that salad idea...I always need fast and easy, and when it's 100 degrees out plus, no cooking is even better!
    Cheers from vB,
    Courtney
    http://www.mommyladyclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm always on the lookout for recipes for my toddler! what a timely post this is!

    Janie via vB

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds yummy! Found you off VB- following you now! Stop by my page anytime!
    ~SortaSuperMom
    http://confessionsfromboystown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love chopped salad. Thank you so much for posting this recipe!!! Visiting from VB.

    ReplyDelete