Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things

Oprah did it, now Ellen's doing it, so I thought I should jump in too!  I always love watching the shows about their favorite things, wishing I was in the audience, and crying with joy for the people who get to receive all of those gifts!  (Can you tell that gift-giving is my love language?) :)

So, here are "A Few of My Favorite Things" right now:

TV Shows

If you have not yet seen Call the Midwife,  it is my favorite show on TV right now.  As Wikipedia states, "The plot follows newly qualified midwife Jenny Lee and the work of midwives and the nuns of Nonnatus House, a nursing convent, coping with the medical problems in the deprived Poplar district of East London in the 1950s."   Based on true stories, Call the Midwife is on Sunday nights on PBS (which is not a cable channel), but you can also find the episodes online at PBS.com.


Source
I'm also a bit obsessed with American Idol right now. Aside from Nicki Minaj, who makes me want to throw stuff at my TV screen, I watch it solely for Angie Miller, the pastor's daughter from Massachusetts who is a worship leader and writes her own songs.  She is in the top 3 right now and I'm hoping she wins!  Check out this song she wrote and performed:



(I think Randy Jackson's "Wow" and "Really" comments are hilarious)


Music

I have been listening to Meredith Andrew's new album Worth it All, which is worship-driven and amazing.  If you need some encouragement today, listen to this:




Books

These days, I rarely finish a book I pick up to read.  Typically I read about 1/3 of my way through and find it in the bathroom 2 months later. But these two books are ones that I can hardly put down.

First, I found in my bookshelf the old classic Hinds Feet On High Placesby Hannah Hurnard. This book brings back a lot of memories for me since the last time I read it was probably in high school. It is such a powerful book, an allegory similar to Pilgrim's Progress, with a ton of life lessons.

Second, I'm reading Sticky Faith: Everyday Ideas to Build Lasting Faith in Your Kids.  This book followed 400 youth group graduates to see what factors helped some of them stick with their faith, and what caused some of them to leave it behind (research has shown up to 80% of churched kids will leave their faith behind).  Their research is fascinating. They give a ton of tips for parents of young children to start developing sticky faith in their kids - it is a must read.

Food

I can't do a "My Favorite Things" post without mentioning my current favorite food.  There are lots of them, but I'll narrow it down to just one for right now:

Trader Joe's Coffee Bean Blast Ice Cream

Source
This contains just enough caffeine to keep you up all night if you eat it too late, so for me, this is a daytime treat!

Now it's your turn! Leave a comment and share with me one of your favorite things right now!


No comments:

Post a Comment