Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Scary Night

This past weekend I went to my parent's house, since Martin was gone at winter camp all weekend. I really debated if I should go, since Micah was so sick coughing like crazy, and Jaden was really fussy as well. On Saturday morning I decided to go ahead and go, and other than a few coughing attacks on the way there, Micah did good. That night before he went to bed, I gave him 3/4 tsp. of Children's Tylenol Cough & Cold Medicine. The night before I had given him a 1/2 tsp., but he had been coughing so bad (and threw up some more on Saturday) that I thought he needed a little more. The pharmacist had originally told me to give him 1/2-1 tsp. of the medicine, but probably 1/2.

I put Micah down to bed around 8:30pm, and around 9:30pm while we were all watching "The Nanny Diaries", I heard him making some weird sounds through the baby monitor. I went in the bedroom, and he was making these weird jerking movements, like body spasms, while he was asleep. I tried to wake him up and he was just jerking around and wouldn't fully wake up. When he did open his eyes, he started crying like he was scared, and it looked like he might have been having hallucinations of some sort. He reached towards my sister and was crying, "Mommy, mommy!" and I just continued to hold him and say, "Mommy's here, baby, I'm right here." I prayed for him constantly, not understanding what was going on, and kept telling my mom, "Something's wrong with him!" He finally calmed down and fell asleep in my arms, and then woke up again and started clapping his hands like he was excited. It was the weirdest things that has ever happened to him.

That night I layed next to him and barely slept. Every move he made, I opened my eyes and held him close to me. I just wanted to get through the night to know he was okay. He normally wakes up at 6am, but woke up around 8:30am on Sunday morning. He came in the living room totally fine, as if nothing had ever happened. I was so thankful. Thank you Jesus for protecting my baby.

I have seen on the news just in the past 2 days headlines about Children's Cold products and them being taken off the shelves, and children being admitted to the hospital for overdosing. I really felt that I was following the label and the pharmacist's instructions, but he still had really bad side effects. Needless to say, I won't be giving him that medication again any time soon, and if I do, it will be WAY less. Scary Night. I am so thankful God protected Micah.

P.S. And in regards to my last post, Jaden did get an ear infection on Sunday and he is on antibiotics, too - so we haven't been sleeping much around here lately! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment