Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Randomness

For New Year's we went up to a cabin in the mountains, and had a great time of resting and sledding in the snow.  The driveway was steep and covered in snow, so we used that for our sled run and it was perfect!! We also found out that some old friends happened to live across the street.  We hadn't seen them in over 12 years and had such a good time catching up with them.






Micah, however, was acting strange and had a mild fever the whole time.  He kept complaining of his stomach hurting but had no other symptoms.  I knew something was just not right, and we even contemplated taking him to the E.R. on New Year's Eve in Lake Arrowhead because he seemed really sick.  I called our pediatrician and she said it sounded like the flu, and to wait one more night before bringing him back home to see her.  

When we got home and saw her, we were shocked to find out he had pneumonia. He had hardly been coughing at all, yet she told me that the stomach pain was a symptom of pneumonia too.  He was put on antibiotics, breathing treatments, etc... and missed 5 days of school.  He is now completely better and back at school, but that was a scary 2 weeks as we watched him suffer through that illness.


On Sunday night I woke up at about 3am and could tell that I was sick, and ended up spending the next 36 hours in bed with 102.5 fever.  Today I saw the doctor who told me I have strep throat.  I was surprised to hear that because it came on so fast, and I thought it was an ear infection.  

As I lay on the couch resting today, I saw on the news that there had been a shooting at Gardena High School - a school only 1 block away from where I used to teach, and 4 blocks away from where we used to live a year and a half ago.  Three students were injured, but no fatalities thankfully.  It is crazy when news like that hits so close to home.

And that concludes this post of random news from my neck of the woods! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment