Saturday, July 12, 2008

Taking a Break

Today, Day 4 of Potty Training Boot Camp, we've decided to take a break. After Micah unleashed 17 hours of pee into his pull-up today (which I finally gave it and put on him because I felt so sorry for him), he proceeded to "hold it" for another 7 1/2 hours. Sooooo, we realize that maybe he's just not ready. Physically, yes. Mentally, no. I confess that I have been anxious to get him potty trained, although I have tried SO hard not to convey that to him, and tried to seem as relaxed as possible. But when I hear about friend's kids being potty trained right at 2, or shortly thereafter, I feel like I am the only mother in the world with a 3 year old still in diapers, and it does get discouraging. We've always known that M likes to do things on his own time-table, is a little perfectionistic, and wants to be in control. It's his personality, and we're trying to help him grow, not stifle him. So, we're still learning. I am a bit discouraged about it but know that it will happen eventually. I guess it would help me immensely to just get out of the comparison trap.

Today was also my birthday, and it was a wonderful day. Martin told me he wanted me to "take the day off", which I will forever believe is the BEST gift any wife or mother could ask for! I slept in until 9am, lounged around the house (in between potty training episodes), then left at 11:30am for a fantastic lunch at the Old Spaghetti Factory with two close friends. We talked for over 2 hours, just catching up, laughing, and having a good time. Then the three of us went thrift store shopping for about an hour, where I found a great leather desk chair (which we've needed) for only $10! After I got home, I took a leisurely (but HOT) nap, and then Martin made us all dinner. My BF Heather had gotten me Sprinkles cupcakes (my FAV), and Martin had also surprised me by baking me cupcakes! So, lots of sugar today. Hey, I didn't want to disappoint anyone! We all took a walk after dinner, and then later tonight M and I are going to watch a movie and relax. The perfect day.

One last funny story - yesterday Micah saw me getting dressed and he ran up to me, grabbed my legs and said "Chunky Thighs!!!" Martin and I busted up laughing - this is what we often (lovingly) say to Jaden. Oh well - I'm a 32 year old mom with chunky thighs. At least I have 2 adorable boys to show for it :)

1 comment:

  1. Don't be discouraged! Every child is so unique and SPECIAL - he will get it. Are you keeping the potty out so he knows he can still try?? We always had lots of naked time for a week or so - that way they are super aware. . .

    My 3 year old is PT'ed but last month I cleaned up more pee on the floor than I care to admit! It is a process, even at 4 we still have a few accidents :) I make them clean it up now! Cotton terry cleaning towels mop it up, then I go back with bleach wipes, just to make sure. :)

    ReplyDelete