Thursday, October 2, 2008

Binky Intervention, Day 1

Baby J is now 17 months old, and I admit - he still is my "baby."  I can see now how moms treat the youngest child as "the baby" for way too long.  He daily tries to show me that he is no longer the baby, by climbing on everything he sees, eating more than an adult for dinner, and trying to talk to us.  The kid is smart.  I don't think I'm just being partial; he does seem to be advanced in some areas probably because he has an older brother to copy.  But, he still wants his binky.  

Most of that is my fault. I have used the binky as MY pacifier for him, every time he whimpers, cries, fusses, or makes a scene.  It is my comfort; I bring it everywhere, knowing that I can just pop it in his mouth if he's having any "issues."  It has worked so well.  I am in love with his pacifier probably more than he is.  

However, this morning I thought I'd try to wean him off of it (finally), so we went all day without it.  He did great.  I could tell he wanted it here and there, and especially when he saw it on the desk and cried for it when I wouldn't give it to him.  But he persevered and got it finally tonight at bedtime.  He immediately shut his eyes and went to sleep as if to say "Finally!"  It was so cute.  I admit that I'm kindof weak in this area and know I'll get tempted to give it to him next time we're out and he's fussy.  But for now, our plan is to just give it to him at bedtime, and then cross THAT bridge when we come to it.

On another note, today both boys missed their naps.  I can't believe how much it throws me off when they do that.  Not only does Micah become Mr. Cranky Pants all day after that, but mommy doesn't do much better.  I put them both down tonight at 7:30pm and they crashed. Hopefully tomorrow will be better...

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on my binkie for them! Sophia still has a bink at 3 :) oops! It just makes life a little simpler and that's okay with me. I hope you all had a good day after the no nap - I get so exhausted when they don't nap - uck. . .

    ReplyDelete