Thursday, October 16, 2008

Finding Myself at MOPS

I just want to stop and give a Shout Out to my local MOPS group. Before I joined MOPS, I really didn't feel I would fit in with them. I had some pre-conceived notions about what went on at those meetings, and convinced myself that I would stand out like a sore thumb, since I didn't fit into what I thought was their "mom mold." I didn't plan on home-schooling, I didn't follow the steps in Babywise, I vaccinated my kids, and on and on my excuses went... 

But in the first 3 years of motherhood, I found that it was easy to become isolated. It became easy to sit in my house and be with my babies, staying in my pajamas on some days, rarely connecting with the outside world other than at church on Sundays. This is a dangerous place to be. Not only does it focus our attention solely on ourselves, but it cheats us of an opportunity to reach out and touch other moms. Moms like me, who many days felt like I was going crazy but didn't want to admit it to anyone else, days I felt really bored, days I felt really lonely.

I came across my MOPS group on "accident." I went on another church's website to look something up and saw a promo ad for their MOPS group starting up. Something stood out to me that day and my heart lept a little. I immediately felt like I had to sign up for it, and I'm so glad I did. I remember the day I was supposed to go to a park playdate to meet some of the other moms (The MOPS group hadn't started yet but they had playdates going on). I felt so insecure, yet so revitalized at the end of that playdate. I connected that day with about 5 other moms who "got it"! They got what it felt like to be ME! The next day I got a phone call asking me to be a Discussion Group Leader.

On the first day we met, I had tears in my eyes because I sat in a room with over 60 women who surrounded me, welcomed me, and made me laugh. All of us have children - all of us have stories. We've only met 3 times so far (we meet every 2 weeks). At my table of 6 women, we have already experienced the joy of one baby being born (and welcoming another mom into our group with a 5 week old), the privilege of coming alongside one woman having major surgery, weeping with one woman who just lost her father, and finding out that we all have a ton in common. We barely know each other, yet have already laughed, cried, mourned and supported each other.

Each time we meet I am struck with a sense of thankfulness. That now I no longer have to feel like I'm going it alone; I have other women who understand.

So, I IMPLORE you, I CHALLENGE you, I ENCOURAGE you - find your local MOPS group and sign up today!!! Make time for it - you will be so thankful you did!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jamie! That group sounds like something I'd like to try out.. I don't really have any other Moms here to connect with! The ones I do know their children are already grown and in their 20's-30's! I have little kids (well, #2 will be here next month!!) I really could use some tips/support/etc from other young moms from time to time.
    Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete