Sunday, August 3, 2008

Photography

So, I've been thinking lately about my photography business. Do I go for it all the way, fix up my website, and start marketing like crazy to get business? Or do I let it stay the way it is, slow and casual, waiting for referrals and mainly "shooting" friends and their friends?

I love what I do. It's just that I don't love the marketing part of it. And I hate charging people for it, yet I need to make a living. I have decided not to do any more free shoots, as I have spent the last 2 years doing at least 50% of my shoots for free. I look at it as a ministry of sorts, as I want to bless people especially when they can't afford photos. However, each shoot takes approximately 5 hours of my time, time that could be spent with my kids, or working on other things I need to get to.

Part of the reason I don't really market is because I'm pretty insecure about what I do. I feel very "green" in this field and still don't really know what I'm doing. Thankfully I know photoshop well enough to make any photo look decent. I am actually afraid to get clients I don't know because I'm worried they won't like the pictures I take of them, that they might be "difficult" clients, etc... It is easy working with people I know and love.

The other thing is that these days, everyone and their mother has a photography business. If I'm going to do it, I want to do it well. Right now I'm just maintaining.

So, please give me your thoughts, your ideas... My website is http://www.jbowmanphoto.com
I really need a new website look, but I can't afford it and don't know how to do it all myself (what is there is what I made, but I don't know how to do any more than that.) Thoughts, Please!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm not an expert, but Joe has used godaddy.com to purchase domain names, and you can purchase flash templates to customize with anything and everything that you would want to have available.

    I understand where you are - I would love to be able to make gifts for everyone and mail my craftiness everywhere, but providing in some way is needed too. The site that you have looks pretty good too - not sure I would have gotten that far :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are a super gifted photographer (even if it involves photoshop!) and could do a lot with it. If making some money is a must (when is it not) then go for it. Maybe you could do some bartering with someone who knows web stuff and could make a site for you and you take pic's for then.

    Even though there are a lot of photog upstarts, I think it's still a really open field and just think of all the people who can recommend you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I think the website is great, personally. I love being able to see lots of pictures of the photographer and I think you do that well. I think it really starts with word of mouth. Also you can advertise in the MOPS newsletter in the fall which might help. I will definitely refer people your way and we may be looking for a family picture this year. Lila looks so different than last years! She finally has hair!

    ReplyDelete