Sunday, November 25, 2012

Who Can You Believe In?

Over lunch with a friend, she had tears in her eyes as she told me how one of her dreams had started to come true - a ministry she had told me about a year earlier that had been on her heart was now becoming reality.

"You were the only one who believed in me," she said.

"Really?" I replied, surprised.  I didn't understand. Her dream was not far-fetched; it was just something on her heart that she felt God calling her to do.  All I remember saying is that she could do it; I knew she could!

Unfortunately when she went to others, they weren't so encouraging.  People reminded her that "it had been done before and didn't work," "we've already tried that," and "there are others more qualified who could do the same thing."

It made me sad to hear that.  How hard is it just to encourage somebody? When they have an idea, how hard is it to just say, "I believe in you!"  Apparently it is really hard for some people. I understand; I have been one of those people many times before. As a "realist," not an "idealist," I am the first to think about the many details that can often be overlooked.  But as I get older, I am realizing that what is more important is not being the expert or stating the details involved, but just to believe in other people and support their dreams.  Let God handle the details, and let God show that person what to do next.

I hope and pray that I have more opportunities to encourage people in their dreams.

Two years ago someone did this for me- I told her of my dream to write a book, and she was the first person to say, "I know you can do it, and I will support you no matter what."  It made a huge difference, because every time I feel like giving up, I remember her words.

Today I saw this video on Facebook, and it was so moving that I had to share it.  One person believed that this man could overcome insurmountable obstacles, and that is what helped him to achieve his goal.  Incredible.  Take a few moments to watch this video; it will amaze you!

No comments:

Post a Comment