Sunday, March 3, 2013

When Your Kids Mortify You

Today at church I helped to co-lead a parenting class, where we talked about the "Soul Transforming Journey of Parenting," using Gary Thomas' Sacred Parenting curriculum (which is good stuff, by the way).

Five minutes after class ended, I picked up my kids from their Sunday School classes, when my 7 year old informed me that my 5 year old had just drawn a large picture of a Lego figure with the words "I'm sexy and I know it" as the caption.

Yep.  That's my boy.  Pastor's kid, class clown, leader of the children.

It was quite fitting that Gary Thomas had just talked about those scenarios in our video session, sharing how a mother was mortified by her son's bad behavior over and over in his young life.  She wrote a letter to Gary, stating, "While people may judge us by our children's actions, God judges us by our reactions to them. I needed to stop being mortified and to start being modified....At times, I actually pity those parents who have easy children. How will they ever learn these valuable lessons?"

Gary went on to share that parenting is like "God's hammer on our souls."  He is refining our character. However, so many of us spend most of our time worrying about our child's character and disciplining their actions that we miss what God is trying to do in our own lives.  What if we took a step back, and instead of pouring all of our energy into changing them, we prayed that God would change us instead?


We were also reminded that our children are watching us, and whether good or bad, they see and hear everything we do.  A friend shared that she and her husband were having a conversation late at night in their living room, talking softly, when their son (who they thought was asleep) interjected his opinion from his own room.   It reminded me of all the conversations I overheard when I was a child and how curious I was. Our children can often hear us even when we don't think they can. Let us not forget in our parenting, that it begins with us - instead of always pointing out our children's mistakes, let us remember to watch our own words and behaviors even more.

Although they see and hear our mistakes, they also see our growth.  When our first reaction is to normally yell or overreact when they mess up, I wonder what would happen if they saw us stop and speak calmly next time.  They will notice something that big.  Again, when the focus is on growing ourselves and changing our own behavior, the effect will be seen by our children.

This week, instead of being mortified by our kids, let our reaction, our behavior, our thoughts...be modified. God will work in them, but let's also allow God to work in us.








5 comments:

  1. very nice Jaimie. advice that i can definitely use!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious. I have a good friend who used to attend Rolling Hills Cov. with her 3 kids and unsaved husband. Their 5-year-old boy hung out at his dad's motorcycle repair shop a lot. He came out of church and on the sidewalk yelled, "Where the F___ is our car?" Talk about being mortified! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me giggle. The things kids say are PRICELESS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids would say something like that! The 9yr old taught the 4yr old a "gimme 5" game where you go up high, down low, to the side and then you pull your hand back and say "I'm too sexy." Just great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came to
    “return the favor”.I am attempting to find
    things to improve my web site!I suppose
    its ok to use some of your ideas!!

    Look into my webpage; perfume tips

    ReplyDelete