Saturday, August 7, 2010

Home Decorating

Okay, I admit it.  I've gone a little crazy.  Today I layed out all of my "to do" projects in the back yard; things I'm inspired to do something beautiful to.  Here are my latest finds/projects:

These 2 redwood benches I got from Freecycle about two years ago.  I can't believe I didn't take a before picture of them, because they were a sore sight to see.

(Oh wait - I found a picture)  ;)



They had 3 old coats of paint on them, chipped away, and were just plain ugly.  Today we (Martin) sanded them down and painted them, using "oops" paint from Home Depot that someone gave me.  Did you know that Home Depot sells "oops" paint for only $1 and $5 (depending on the size)?  Just look behind the paint counter and they usually have a rack of these returns available to buy.  This is not the color I really wanted (deep red), but hey, I got it free, so it will have to do!





Next, I found this old ladder on the side of the road being thrown out, and it looked so rustic and awesome that I just had to pick it up.  Today I went to Home Depot and got two small cans of white paint (again, in the "oops" section for only .50 cents each).  Total cost = $1.00.  My plan is to paint it and then put it in the corner of the yard with small flower pots on it.


Today I drove by a yard sale and picked this up for $1.00 for the boys room.  I've been wanting a shelf in their room for awhile, so I'm planning on painting this one either white or navy blue.


But my favorite find of ALL today was at another yard sale, where I picked up this small chandelier.
  

Beth (from The Stories of A to Z) recently posted about how she turned her kitchen chandelier into a mason jar chandelier and I was so excited about it; I have been wanting to try it ever since I read that.  Check out her pictures and instructions here.  Once I'm finished with this one, it will replace this "beauty" left by our landlords:


The best part about the one I bought?


You just don't find deals like that at Southern California yard sales (at least where I live)!  

I can't wait to show you all the finished products.  That is, if I finish them. ;)

2 comments:

  1. These projects look fun and frugal - my favorite kind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love painting things!! :) There's something called "liquid sandpaper" at home depot that will save tons of time with the sander if there aren't actual paint chips (like the benches). But it's perfect for the shelf for the boys room. Have fun with your projects.

    ReplyDelete